The Fire Serpent Tantra Lineage members
are chosen from the most gifted FST graduates
and get additional training continously from Mystress
to carry on her work.

What does it feel like when ego dies?

Started by 7jaguar, August 12, 2009, 08:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

7jaguar

I'm just curious: what does it feel like when ego finally dies? Is it a big dramatic event or does ego just fizzle away? All the books I've read on spirituality talk about the conditions sine qua non but they don't describe the experience of ego death itself.

I've "died" many times but I doubt that ego has dissolved yet, and I'm guessing you just know when it happens, but if anyone could describe the experience that would be fun.

Thanks,

7jaguar

Nevah Entitar

It's different for everyone. Suffice to say, you'll go through a period where you think your identity is coming to an end, then you'll go through a period where you think your identity has ended. This will present itself differently depending on your own religious/spiritual views. Then for a while you will exist without an identity, which can be freeing or scary or both depending on how prepared you are. Then, eventually, the ego will resurrect in a way and you will have an identity again, but you'll never be entirely sure if it's the same identity you had beforehand, or if that identity even existed or was just an illusion.

It also kind of feels like the top of your head is falling alseep sometimes.

It's not as dramatic as some make it out to be (at least not all the time) and it's not the one-stop route to enlightenment or anything. At the very least, though, it is the end of faith in the life/death duality, and the freedom from fear of death.

7jaguar

Thank you kindly.

I´m actually going through a hibernation of sorts after 'losing' (actually, voluntarily giving up) everything: my job, my possessions, the country where I was living... I feel like I´m floating in the air, but I've actually gotten kind of used to it. For some reason I thought it would be a very dramatic event, since three years ago I went through a horrific-yet-beautiful shamanic-type awakening, so this seems pretty mellow in comparison, which makes it harder for someone as impatient as I am! The crown of my head does feel funny, and so does my forehead and my left hand. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks again.

7jaguar

Quote from: Nevah Entitar on September 01, 2009, 06:51:36 AM
It's different for everyone. Suffice to say, you'll go through a period where you think your identity is coming to an end, then you'll go through a period where you think your identity has ended. This will present itself differently depending on your own religious/spiritual views. Then for a while you will exist without an identity, which can be freeing or scary or both depending on how prepared you are. Then, eventually, the ego will resurrect in a way and you will have an identity again, but you'll never be entirely sure if it's the same identity you had beforehand, or if that identity even existed or was just an illusion.

It also kind of feels like the top of your head is falling alseep sometimes.

It's not as dramatic as some make it out to be (at least not all the time) and it's not the one-stop route to enlightenment or anything. At the very least, though, it is the end of faith in the life/death duality, and the freedom from fear of death.

Ultramarine

Loved 7jaguar,

the ego is about who you think you are. Don't try to lose it. After years of christian practice, the perception of who you think you are will change to the Self - Your Soul. Think of a journey, live and learn, but don't try to kill your ego.

Shakti is with you,

Ben.

Joey

I don't think it's good to look at it as the ego dieing. Death, in general, tends to bring an instinct of fear.

I can't speak for what it is like for anyone else, but I know for me it was more of a fading. One day you just simply realize the truth of what your ego is, and it just fades away. But not all at once in some cataclysmic way, but rather slowly.

Realizing the truth of what is, is far easier that living that same truth. After you see the truth of yourself, you still have to deal with old habits of thoughts and actions. Thoughts and actions that you'll find yourself falling into very easily, yet when you catch yourself, you'll be confused as to why you're still doing it.

Practice and patience is all I can say. Sooner or later, the way the mind works will align with what they mind knows. But it takes time to undo a lifetime of habits built around something that doesn't really exist to begin with.

And that's the kick. The ego can't die because it wasn't living to begin with. When you realize your truth, when you experience it, the chains just seem to fall away. More accurately, as strange as it sounds, you find they weren't really there to begin with.

But the habits are hard to break ;)

Good luck!

Joey